Today was awesome. I slept in really late and G tried but couldn't so he was up early poor guy. We only had one house to see and it wasn't until the evening so we went to Circular Quay in downtown Sydney. We were also waiting to hear from three realtors we had applications in with. We took a bus into the city and watched a street show in which Garrett was sucked into participating. Don't worry I got photos and when we move into our house they will go up on the blog.
Next we walked around to see some shops and the boats and the street performers etc...we went to Cadmans cottage which has some history of the first English settlers in Sydney. Cadman (I don't remember his first name) stole a horse in England and was sentenced to death. Later because King George III was keen to send people to the colony in Sydney his sentence was changed to 14 years transportation. In sydney he married a woman with two children who had been sentenced to (7?) years transportation for stealing two hair brushes and some knives from the house she was a servant in. He became a pretty important man in Sydney over the years.
We went to the rocks and enjoyed the view, had bagguette sandwhiches in a patisserie and a beautiful desert from Guylian-the Belgian chocolate cafe. It was chocolate cake surrounded by hazelnut something, covered in a thin chocolate ganache, covered again in a thin caramel ganache and garnished by three candied hazelnuts and a tiny piece of honeycomb. It was divine BUT it was not as good as my favorite desert ever "The Little Dutchess" at "Moore Willsons" in Wellington, NZ.
After that we walked around the bridge and through the park and took pictures by the water. We walked around to the rocks again and then all the way around to the opera house. I sat down and emailed Camilla to let her know I was feeling nostalgic about the four days we spent together in Sydney May of 2011. Garrett put his arm around me and said "I bet it must have been so fun for you and Camilla to be here alone when you could do anything you wanted to". I sighed and thought about how great it was to not have little ones and strollers and people whining and saying they were tired and hungry all day long :) But on the flip side I wouldn't trade in my little ones for all the freedom in the world. They are the light of my life and they bring far more joy than I could ever have without them. I love you guys!
Lastly we went to the Botanic Gardens and that was lovely as always. So peaceful and beautiful. I could spend some time there everyday if only we lived closer. The kids(and Garrett)loved seeing the flying foxes which really are amazing. And I loved the beautiful and truly magnificent Fig trees. They aren't fruit fig trees they are different and I wish I could remember all of the full names of them. They are my favorites and I would Love to have one in my back yard but unfortunately the ones I love are probably 75-100+ years old.
After the gardens it was getting late so we walked back to the bus. The kids were starving for dinner but we just got them some OJ to tide them over until we got home. Garrett was doing all this work to figure out the bus system and I felt so irritated because I already knew where there was a bus stop to take us home. He thought if we walked in the opposite direction we would find one closer to home blah blah blah. In the mean time it was getting later and later and later and the kids were getting more hungy and tired and melty. When G wasn't coming through on the bus thing I started pushing the stroller in the direction I knew how to get home. He took us so far out of our way, unintentionally, and I was begining to feel annoyed. Then I realized something. I like easy and secure. I like SURE things. I used to be more free and wing it but since having kids and irronically since marrying Garett I just want SURRITY. And that is why often I miss things or I don't figure out better ways of doing things or going places. To me it was just easier to go where I knew to go and ask the bus drivers. Garrett on the other hand makes a lot more mistakes but he figures things out and he learns the proper way of doing it in the future with other busses, other trips and other places. We got to the bus stop and were headed home by the time he figured it all out so I was glad I had led us to the other bus stop. But after thinking it over on the long walk back, I was also grateful for his willingness to make mistakes and learn for our bennifit. The public transit here is VERY complicated and he is starting to get it figured out due to his perserverence and trying lots of things.
Thanks honey for being my other half and for helping me to exit out of mommy brain and look at things in the long term instead of the short term. Thank you for doing the hard work of figuring it all out since I HATE doing that sort of thing. You are my hero :)
Davis rocks
11 years ago
5 comments:
OH I can't wait to see your home!
thank you for the great posts, Ash. we miss you all so much. please post about your house and send address so we can look it up on Google Maps. when do you move in, etc?
Good times! When I come I will watch your kids and then you and G can do some wandering around the city together no children! How far away is your new place from the city?
Our place is just a short bus ride to the heart of the city. We went all the way to circular Quay and it was 15 min. I think.
Isn't life just like that? You do things one way because you are just trying to push on through and get things done so you can survive. Then suddenly you discover that you can afford to do things another way or you have time again to ocassionally stop and smell the roses. Those are beautiful moments. Almost like your freedom is slowly being returned to you. And then you have hope and are filled with joy. It's what every mommy needs.
Post a Comment