Monday, January 9, 2012

New Years Monday-Glenelg

Today we hopped a train and went to the beach in Glenelg. It was a hot and beautiful day. We had lunch at a Portuguese restaurant and Ethne and Ezra kept calling it a POOR CHEESE restaurant wHich was really comical. We went to a small museum while we were still dry and then headed down to the beach to swim. We caked on the sunscreen, but at the end of the day Ethne and Ezra's backs were burned :( but not too badly.

We had so much fun swimming and thinking about sharks didn't keep me from swimming out and enjoying the water. The water here's so much warmer than in NZ it was awesome. I didn't have to get numb before I enjoyed it :) we built sandcastles in the sand and collected shells as well as riding waves and swimming.

When I was starting to look pink I decided we better go and we headed up the beach to the water for rinsing. Lol, the sand was so hot we were hopping along the whole way hoping to get to the water before the pain was too intense.

Glenelg is a really touristy beach and so there is a boardwalk full of shops and restaurants and ice cream places. Everyone was walking around with cones and cups and Ice cream sundays. So, we got ice cream cones and enjoyed them while waiting for the train back into the city.

The ride was uncomfortable as we were all wet and tired but the walk back and having to stop and buy groceries on the way home was the worst. It turned out that I was by far the most burned and My skin just kept cooking and cooking. I was so burned by the time we went to bed that I couldn't lay down without being in pain. That is what's get for not wearing my rash guard instead of the swim suit :( AND not being able to wear sunscreen either I guess. I had just recovered from the rash I had gotten last time I covered myself in sunscreen so I wasn't wearing any.

Fun fun day! We enjoyed the people we sat by on the tram as we rode to glenelg and they told us some interesting tidbits about AU and themselves.

Oh I forgot to mention that as soon as Ezra got up this morning he was talking about becoming a baker. Garrett's talk yesterday sunk in and he decided he wanted me to teach them all there is to know about making bread (he has no idea that I am unqualified for the task). He is anxious to get started and made a list of all the kinds of bread a baker would need to learn to make. He even put naan and tortillas on the list. Smart, well rounded boy!

No comments: