Friday, December 3, 2010

Day 7 in Wellington New Zealand

So something weird is going on with my blogging on this computer. I can't write about each picture by the picture so for now you will get it all here. So the cafe is where we ate lunch that day and the sail boats are from the cafe as well. We ate out on the back deck right by the water.

The bear is the really funny looking Sun Bear I wrote about from the zoo.

The picture of Enoch and Garrett is at the zoo as well where they were watching the VERY hungry tiger pacing back and forth waiting to be fed.

The picture of Ezra crying was really quite funny. We were all watching the cheetahs when I looked up and saw Ezra throw a handful of rocks and dirt into the cage at the one lying down right in front of him. I automatically yelled Ezra don't! but it was too late the cheetah got hit by all that stuff and was none too happy. I explained to Ezra about the boys who teased the tigers at the Oakland Zoo and what happened and he was so emotional from my yelling at him and the story he burst into tears and cried in my arms for several minutes. Poor boy!







Today we went on a long tour of part of the island looking for the car auction. We went all over trying to get there before the auction started so that we could preview all the cars. It started at 12 and we should have been there at 11 but we didn't get there until 12:30. Ethne got a lovely nap though :) Good thing too because it was the only nap she got.

It looks like the auction might be a great place to buy our cars. Good deals and a lot of them have had full inspections that are posted right on the car. Wish us luck!

Next we ate lunch in a big cafe ocean side. We sat at a little table out on the back deck and watched all the sail boats go by. It was picturesque. Garrett has promised to put up Pict's for me since I have been spending so much time blogging. I had the first salad I have been able to find since we got here-weird. You can't find a whole lot of healthy low-fat food here in the cafes. It was delightful-chicken, greens, grape tomatoes, cucumbers, and believe it or not salsa and a corn tortilla :) Not a lot of Mexican food here.

Enoch had a sausage roll but didn't like the pastry so he took the sausage out of it and ate it plain. Ezra at an egg and bacon muffin that Garrett said was fantastic. Ethne ate a bagel with cream cheese and little bits of other peoples food.

Garrett ate the seafood chowder which had squid, scallops, octopus, shrimp, clams and who knows what else. The boys tasted it and both really wished they had ordered it. "next time were going to get that mom"--Enoch The squid was tiny and whole with little tentacles and everything. The clams looked very different from the ones we would get in SF too. They were quite colorful. Anyway, I am glad my kids are adventurous eaters because looking at those little things grossed me out. I tasted the soup and it was fantastic but I couldn't make myself eat that squid- The scallops were the first I have had that I could say were really good.

Yea for seafood by the sea...

After that we took the kids to the zoo. We bought a year membership and plan to go back as often as possible. It was far from the best zoo we have been too--more a zoo with potential I would say. They have great plans for it though and our money contributed to that so we feel great about it. I saw a sun bear for the first time and it was really funny looking. It really looked more like a mix between a badger and a pit bull. Odd to say the least. The monkeys were of course the favorites of us all. They were so active and all over the place doing funny things. There are also 10-12 chimps that have pictures and name plaques around the cage with little descriptions of what they love to do. The only problem with those is...we could only find 2 of them and one was sleeping in the dark. Oh well that is usually how zoo's are-you walk by a lot of empty looking cages trying to find the animals that are well hidden behind a rock or tree or bush.

After the zoo we got little tip top ice cream cones and took turns trying each others flavors and chatting as we walked back to our car. I believe the flavors were: cookies and cream, coconut marshmallow ice(yes that is one flavor-not three), mango something, and orange chocolate chip. Quite the mix isn't it? And believe it or not Ezra's coconut marshmallow ice might have been the best one-who would have thought?

We stopped by the store on the way home to get nappy's and food for tomorrow so we could be prepared for our sabbath day. We get to meet the ward tomorrow at 9am. Garrett met one guy in the ward at work the other day and to judge by the guys face the other day when we passed him in the car at weta he was happy to have another member there. Can't wait to meet him and everyone else :) Yea for the church and for having it be such a rock in every storm.

Well, Garrett is ironing our church clothes and then I think we will have a little popcorn and watch a little something before bed.
Goodnight to you all our sleeping friends and family who are far far away.

Oh that reminds me of something awful. We passed a house of ill repute today and the huge yucky sign said "oh come all ye faithful" twice across the top and she was wearing a Santa hat. Poor girls! Wish I could help them find a better profession. The only girl I have know who had a job like that was so sweet and sad. She was in her late 30's and had a sickly child that she was trying to provide for and pay towering medical bills for. There was a sweet guy I knew who was trying to help her find her way out. I hope he did! God bless you where ever you are now--

No comments: