New winds a brewing in the Fry hotel room as of the last few days. No one is sure if they are here to stay, but from what we are seeing the Cheese Princess might be trading in her title for a new one. Two days ago Ethne Elizabeth Fry, who up to this point isn't really a fan of eating, ATE A PEANUT BUTTER on an apple!! Granted it was only one slice of apple but for this shining star that is big news. She has always declined peanut butter (and any more than a few bites of anything else at a time-except CHEESE) and turned to fruit only when her body would give her an overwhelming PLEASE feed me something healthy. But this time she actually started licking the PB off the apple and she wanted me to keep re-filling the apple so I just gave her a spoon of PB and she ate it like that.
While it might be a bit of an exaggeration that she doesn't eat anything but cheese it is true that cheese is by far her favorite food. It is also true that she would rather drink water or nurse above eating or drinking anything else. I have never seen a child consume so much water the way she does.
When the Cheese Princes was about 6 months old her parents lovingly started making her baby food in the amazing Beaba Babycook-a magnificent baby food maker by Williams Sonoma. Mom was super excited to be able to have it and use it but The Princess didn't want to eat food. She would just rather nurse. OK thought her parents no rush-there is plenty of time, but they kept trying every week to feed her a little bit . Finally at 9 months she was starting to accept more baby food but nursing was always the priority and then after that she would eat some baby food. By 9 months of age her brothers both preferred baby food to nursing and Enoch had weened himself altogether. It isn't so much that she is picky as much as it is that she won't try anything. Often if i can get it in her for one bite she will eat several more bites and then she is done.
One thing she will not touch is milk. It doesn't matter what kind-whole,low-fat, rice milk, she hates them all the same.
So last night right before dinner time Ethne went to the cupboard pulled out the Peanut Butter. She brought it to me emphatically pointing and yelling NACK! NACK! Yesterday she ate a PB sandwich and today she had a 1/2 of one. I don't normally feed my kids very much PB because Enoch is the only one who likes it and , but since we are out and about all day everyday we have eaten quite a bit of it.
So back to the Cheese Princess--
This winning lady with a new found passion for Peanut Butter may turn in her title, but not to worry she is in for another one- "The Protein Princess"
Just a side note about Peanut butter. I just figured out why pediatricians are starting to say no PB until 2 years. My Ped. said that it has nothing to do with allergies. They are worried about kids choking. PB has always been on the choking list so WHY now start upping the age to two years old? I am convinced it is because of white bread and filler peanut butter. My kids have never had a problem with real PB sticking to the roof of their mouth or choking on it. BUT when we got cheap bread here the other day that was mostly white flour and PB that was only 97% peanuts (that is the closest I have found here to 100% peanuts) I fed it to ethne and it was a horrible mess in her mouth. REAL BREAD with REAL PEANUT BUTTER don't do that. So I guess if I buy real peanut butter and real bread I don't have to worry about my kids choking to death on it :) There, I have just solved one of the biggest problems facing mother's of children under two.
While it might be a bit of an exaggeration that she doesn't eat anything but cheese it is true that cheese is by far her favorite food. It is also true that she would rather drink water or nurse above eating or drinking anything else. I have never seen a child consume so much water the way she does.
When the Cheese Princes was about 6 months old her parents lovingly started making her baby food in the amazing Beaba Babycook-a magnificent baby food maker by Williams Sonoma. Mom was super excited to be able to have it and use it but The Princess didn't want to eat food. She would just rather nurse. OK thought her parents no rush-there is plenty of time, but they kept trying every week to feed her a little bit . Finally at 9 months she was starting to accept more baby food but nursing was always the priority and then after that she would eat some baby food. By 9 months of age her brothers both preferred baby food to nursing and Enoch had weened himself altogether. It isn't so much that she is picky as much as it is that she won't try anything. Often if i can get it in her for one bite she will eat several more bites and then she is done.
One thing she will not touch is milk. It doesn't matter what kind-whole,low-fat, rice milk, she hates them all the same.
So last night right before dinner time Ethne went to the cupboard pulled out the Peanut Butter. She brought it to me emphatically pointing and yelling NACK! NACK! Yesterday she ate a PB sandwich and today she had a 1/2 of one. I don't normally feed my kids very much PB because Enoch is the only one who likes it and , but since we are out and about all day everyday we have eaten quite a bit of it.
So back to the Cheese Princess--
This winning lady with a new found passion for Peanut Butter may turn in her title, but not to worry she is in for another one- "The Protein Princess"
Just a side note about Peanut butter. I just figured out why pediatricians are starting to say no PB until 2 years. My Ped. said that it has nothing to do with allergies. They are worried about kids choking. PB has always been on the choking list so WHY now start upping the age to two years old? I am convinced it is because of white bread and filler peanut butter. My kids have never had a problem with real PB sticking to the roof of their mouth or choking on it. BUT when we got cheap bread here the other day that was mostly white flour and PB that was only 97% peanuts (that is the closest I have found here to 100% peanuts) I fed it to ethne and it was a horrible mess in her mouth. REAL BREAD with REAL PEANUT BUTTER don't do that. So I guess if I buy real peanut butter and real bread I don't have to worry about my kids choking to death on it :) There, I have just solved one of the biggest problems facing mother's of children under two.
No comments:
Post a Comment