I want to share this with you because it SO closely parallels my own feelings on the subject. I found it on a friends Facebook page and had to post it myself because I think there are a lot of other mother's out there who feel the same and we need to know that we are not alone.
The article is long but worth reading. I will try to keep my own comments short. http://memoriesoncloverlane.blogspot.com/2011/03/what-about-our-girls-childhood-cut.html
The article is long but worth reading. I will try to keep my own comments short. http://memoriesoncloverlane.blogspot.com/2011/03/what-about-our-girls-childhood-cut.html
I think about this a lot but not just for my girl. I feel for my sons just as much. The girls that will be their peers from now through their teen years have been brainwashed into thinking that their worth is determined by their sex appeal. They are over-sexed and under-dressed. My boys are getting to an age where they are started to notice all the naked women around them. The other Day my 6 year old said "New Zealand people never have clothes on". And my 4 year old the day before stopped in the store to look at the massive paintings of naked women being sold as art at a store here(the NZ equivalent to Walmart). He said "Mom, here's more naked lady pictures".
You can't go to an art exhibit without about 5-10% of the art being naked women. We went to one recently and out of about every 100 paintings there were about 5 naked women paintings. I came home and the more I thought about it the more it bothered me. Especially since most of the art is junk as far as Garrett and I are concerned. You go to the exhibit to see about 10-15 marvelous paintings that take your breath away, and leave you wanting more. Then in the meantime you try to not make a big deal to your children of the naked women while you give a respectful amount of glancing to the paintings that have no business in a gallery. The only reason they are in there is because they represent a time period and style.
Forgive me for sounding brazen, but where are all the pictures of naked men? I have decided I would really like to conduct a social experiment where I have a gallery full of 200 paintings-15 of these will be AMAZING by big name painters. Then about 20 will be really good by no-name painters only the really big art connoisseur have heard of. 10-12 will be naked men in various poses. Some completely nude and in seemingly bad taste and some a little more tasteful. Then the rest will just be junk that anyone who cares about real talent will just graciously pass over at best and criticize the curator for picking them at worst. Then I would like to video peoples reactions while they go through the gallery. Will the men still stop and appreciate the beauty of the male body? It would be interesting at the very least.
No comments:
Post a Comment