Sunday, December 11, 2011

Surrogate Fathers

This is something I was thinking a lot about while reflecting on my experiences in the states without Garrett. I was thinking of all the men who stepped in and helped to fill the void for my children even though their separation from their father was only temporary. I have had plenty of experience with me watching how my kids change when they are away from their father for long periods of time. The same effects happen when Garrett is working a lot of overtime as well. They dont see him very much and all the same symptoms start showing up. They are:

Disobedient
Sullen
Physically aggressive
Emotional on a big scale- crying very easily over minor things
Major meltdowns on a scale that is outside of their normal range of fits
Just to name a few...

In addition to watching my own kids deteriorate durring the 5 weeks apart from their dad I talked with a good friend about her experiences as a single mom when she did have good men step in to fill the void for her child and the time when she did not have them investing in her child. She said it makes all the difference in the world and on a HUGE SCALE. Her child is older now not 2, 5, or 6 and the consequences are much greater as the stakes are so much higher at this age.

This post is a call to all good men to look around them and see where their father skills could be useful to the young men and women around them who are in need of a good father figure. Someone who they can look up to, emulate, and give them time and attention. Maybe if these fatherless boys can see what a good man looks/acts like they will become one themselves.
My heart goes out to all of you single mothers and if I can ever be of any service to you just let me know. Love to you all-And thank you to the grandpas and uncles for letting my children sit on your laps and wrestle and enjoy your company.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The same thing happens at my house. That is when I am really sad I don't have my dear brothers nearby.

Ashley said...

Maybe we should move to Rexburg for a little while. Garrett could get a job at the cupcake store and then he would have plenty of time to be available for your kids and mine :)