Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Day three in Adelaide

I am tired so will keep the next few posts short. I just want to get them down since all the days are starting to melt into one for us.

This day I took the kids to see Santa. We left here early in the morning and walked to Rundall mall where they had a huge outdoor sleigh and decorations that were supposed to open at 10am that morning.We were an hour early so we spent some time in a book store, a shoe store and having a small morning tea where I purchase two little cakes so I could use the cafe Internet. Almost the entire 1/2hour we were in the book store Ethne was looking at the inside cover of a ballerina book and was trying to do all of the poses of the ballerinas inside. She was so so cute trying to do them all, and I was surprised at her determination and her stamina for the whole thing. She has been doing "ballerina dancing" ever since.

We were really disappointed to find out that the sleigh was actually empty though and Santa was not coming. We still took pictures in it and stayed for the other activities. The kids got coloring pages and made crowns and got their faces painted all for free. I will try to get some pictures posted one day of their cute faces. They really looked quite cute. The ladies who did the face painting were kind of sour but they were also very talented-as face painters go. Ethne was of course a ballerina princess :) and Ezra was a bat. Not Batman just a regular bat. The one lady said she could only do batman not a Rgular bat and she was grouchy with him but the other lady said she could do it and she did a good job. Enoch was a tiger and he had bronze metallic lips that were quite cool.

After this was all done we walked back towards the apartment and stopped in Garrett's work to see if maybe he wanted to go to an early lunch or something. He was surprised to see the kids faces and they felt special that everyone at RSP thought they were super cool. The secretary suggested Garrett take us back and show us the building and we were introduced to all the other matte painters and supervisors. It was too early for G to leave for lunch as he hadn't been at work long. He had spent the morning traipsing around the city going from one parking garage to the next. He was taking pictures of the city from the top of each parking garage because he needed new photos of buildings for the matte painting shots he is working on for "The Hunger Games".

Speaking of "The Hunger Games", the first movie will have shots of Mt. Timpanogos in UT. That will be one of Garrett's shots. He is using pictures he took there for the background for at least one shot :) Also Garrett said there are parts of several LSD temples in the movie (not so much that you will recognize them when you see them in the final shots. Just parts of the temples.) that another guy, who knows Garrett is LDS, mentioned to Garrett that he was using. He said "thank goodness for The LDS temples" because they were apparently just the sort of things he needed for his shots in the movie. Garrett said it was weird to be in daily's meeting and see the shots with the temples in them. They were very noticeable in the unfinished shots. Another LDS guy who works at RSP dropped his jaw when he saw them and asked Garrett if he had done them. He was a little annoyed thinking G had gone too far. But G told him that it wasn't actually him.

Just an interesting little tidbit for you. All in all a tiring but good day and so much for a short post :)

4 comments:

Sunshine said...

Funny typo (LSD Temple).
That was interesting and funny that people are annoyed at having them in the movies. Didn't know that's what Garrett was working on. I didn't think about you guys walking everywhere. That will make it a memorable month.

Ashley said...

Oh whoops I will have to fix that. I don't think he was really annoyed as much as thinking what was Garrett thinking about using them. But it was actually a guy who isn't even LDS. G thought it was really funny. I love walking I think it is great exercise but I hate how tired and grouchy it makes my kids.

Katheryn said...

Sounds like a fun project for Garrett.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh I didn't realize he was doing Hunger Games. And how amazing that they will be using so many of his shots!!! I am so excited!