Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Inspiration is a Funny Thing

Inspiration is a funny thing sometimes. It comes in all diffent ways that are sometimes very simple, but surprising at the same time.

Last night while Garrett and I were praying together before bed, I became keenly aware of my little girl downstairs in her own room and bed. I felt strong feelings about her and that I needed to pray specifically for her. I had just prayed for my kids each by name so the prompting was a bit of a surprise. I felt a little anxious about her immediately, and wondered what might happen that she would need specific and extra prayers. I listened and the words that were spoken were for her protection but mostly for he sleep deprivation. I prayed that she would be able to catch up on some of the sleep she had been deprived of on Kangaroo Island so that she might be happy and rested.

After the prayer Garrett was surprised and asked me if I thought she was sleep deprived. I answered honestly that yes, i did. I told him I was feeling a little anxious about her. I went downstairs and opened her door to make sure I could hear her if she woke up and also to make sure there was enough cool air in there as her room gets very warm at night. I arraigned her in the bed and moved her water bottle out of the bed :) she likes to snuggle the water bottle like some kids do a stuffed animal. Enoch and Ezra were the same way at her age. :)

This morning Garrett was up at 6am and made a lot of racket getting out the door to work. I expected Ethne to wake up but she didn't. Then at 7am the boys woke up and started making a lot of noise with their playmobile and still, she didn't wake up. Then they were fighting and STILL no Ethne. I started feeling nervous and wondering if I should check on her but I was comforted by remembering that I had felt prompted to pray for her to get her sleep, so I waited patiently for her to wake up. I heard her moving around in bed when I listened outside the door, and my relief was complete.

At a little after 8am I heard the little voice that said "mommy, I'n awake! Mommy, I'n awake. Open my doouh(door)".
When I went in she was SO HAPPY. I climbed in bed with her and we snuggled. I said Ethne did you miss me? She said "mommy you go somewhere I can't see you?" I said, I was just sleeping in my bed. She grinned and giggled and hugged and kissed.

It was clear she was well rested and feeling great and happy.

I said brothers are fighting you should go tell them not to fight. She came with me to their room and she walked in and said "brothers, no fighting!" Then she walked up to them and started tickling them all over and saying "naughty naughty" over and over. She was so funny they couldnt stop giggling and their fighting stopped. It was really quite a scene. Since then they have been sitting on either side of her for breakfast and playing to make sure they BOTH get to be with her.

The thing that struck me through all of this is that I have prayed for my kids to sleep in on many occasions, or prayed that they might get the sleep they needed etc... And sometimes it worked out and sometimes it didnt. But this, to my knowledge, was the first time I had been PROMPTED to pray those things for a specific child and it was a testimony builder for me in two ways.

First, I was reminded of the little sparrow and how, as Benjamin Franklin out it, even the sparrow cannot fall from his nest without God's notice. My Ethne is certainly a little sparrow in a huge world. And her getting sleep is even more insignificant, Yet He was concerned for her.

And Second I was able to see how when we stay close to the spirit and listen for those little tidbits that come, even when they are seemingly common or insignificant, there is a power to our prayers that comes when the words come from a source higher than ourselves. I felt it and experienced it and I feel I learned something important for me. Something I have learned before, but needed to be reminded of again.

I can write this down, but the spirit and the power I felt through the experience isn't something that can be conveyed through words. It is a power and a glory that is my Heavenly Father's, and that we each feel durring those moments where the Holy Spirit speaks to us and we obey.

Who can deny the power of God after such an experience? I certainly cannot.

2 comments:

Sunshine said...

THose moments are ones you won't ever forget. To me, getting those kinds of promptings are treasures. I hold them so dear to my heart and I feel intensely grateful to Heavenly Father for contact that closely.

Sheryl said...

I love this sweet story. Thanks for sharing.