This has really be a great experience for us to NOT have our stuff, but we do wish we didn't have to do it for so long. We have had the chance to be minimalists and see what it is like to own only a very few things. It has been interesting to say the least. There are some things that we have found it very hard to live without. For me it was my Kitchen Aid Mixer, my Cuisinart mini-food processor, my whisk and Williams-Sonoma rubber spatulas that I use for EVERYTHING, my Vita-Mix, food scale, Sewing Machine, and all my supplies- sewing supplies, craft supplies and art supplies. Oh and my Family Pictures. Those make me SO happy to look at and I am glad to have the few we brought with us. Here is Ezra pulling things out of a box before it was even opened. It has been ripped so badly and then taped shut, but not well enough to not reach in and take something out :(
Garrett was really excited to get the child backpack so we could go hiking and our DVD's. He really didn't want the rest of it. He is happy with nothing hardly to clean up and I can't say I blame him there. Our house was SO clean when we didn't own much. Now it has gotten a lot harder to keep everything up. It is a lot more work to own more things. Oh and if you click on this photo to enlarge it you can see the green dresser I have been working on for the boys room. It's cool!
There were things I saw and said: Oh I wish we hadn't brought that-like the crock pot (since we already bought one here. And the waffle iron that got damaged during the trip. It was brand new and a really nice one, and I was sad to see it damaged so much). Then there was the heating pad which we can't use here anyway so was silly to have. But overall most of what we brought I am really glad to have. We got our 4 boxes of books-mostly school books-and a whole box of clothes for Ethne that she has already grown into that are 2T -3T (that saved us a lot of money since clothes are so expensive here). There was a box of clothes of the boys and a few toys and things that I had bought for Christmas before we new we were moving. Toys are REALLY expensive here so I am glad we have birthdays and things covered for this whole year :) They don't need much just nice things that will last and that they will get hours of play time out of.
Our boxes were in the most dreadful condition by the time we got them. Smashed, wet, mold on the outside of the wet ones, and broken open and then taped again. some of them had been opened by NZ customs and others had not. But I am thankful that although we had about $300 worth of damaged goods-that most things are still fine thanks to our really GREAT packing job. We used big black garbage bags to keep the books and clothes and things dry. We used lots of bubble wrap and towels as well as sheets to keep things padded and we custom made boxes for some of the things that were odd shapes. The box pictured below was so damp it just tore open when we moved it. It has wooden toys in it that I was grateful were packed either in Ziploc bags or padded well with bathroom towels that soaked up the water and kept the toys dry.
There were some things that it really surprised me how glad I was to see. They weren't things I needed and they are only more up-keep really but they bring me a lot of happiness. They were pictures, keepsakes, and decorations that make me happy when I look at them. They have to be dusted and kept up but they bring more enjoyment to me than the work they require I guess :)
No comments:
Post a Comment