We are currently on the lookout for a new violin teacher. I have phone interviewed two so far and a third has interviewed me ;)
We are going to observe two of the teachers next week. Oddly enough they are teaching at the same studio.
One girl is my age and has been teaching since she was 15 putting herself through her BA and MA programs. We talked for a long time and she seemed like a very cool person, but before we got off the phone she warned me about her appearance :) she said she has tattoos and a really short haircut, wears jeans and t-shirts and doesn't at all resemble a violin teacher. She said most people are really surprised and say that she doesn't look how they expected her to.
The other teacher we are observing next week is brand new to teaching. She has had several of her children go through Suzuki piano, flute, viola and violin so she knows what it is like to be the parent as well. She is $25 a week cheaper for both kids as well so that is a plus. I just hope she has playing skill as well. We will see what she is like next week.
The third lady I talked to interviewed me. She was not at all interested in my business because she is so good and has a name for herself that she really is full all the time and just happened to have an opening. I wasn't clear though if she would take the kids on herself or if she was going to pass them on to her apprentice teacher who just so happens to be lady #2 mentioned above :) she is out of the country for two weeks and so i couldnt observe her until then. And like I said I wasn't clear in the end if she would even take them. I don't know if she teaches beginners often.
There are two others I am trying to get ahold of but no one returns my emails or calls. Most of these teachers are full all the time and are hard to get into because there is such a demand in this area for teachers.
Wish me luck...
Davis rocks
11 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment