Monday, January 24, 2011

My Surfer Girl

Well, I have come to the realization that I will be able to vicariously reach my dream of being a surfer girl.

From the time I was little I always wanted to learn to surf. I would watch people doing it on TV (since there wasn't a beach anywhere around) and I would wish so badly I was out there too. Bungee jumping has no appeal to me, jumping out of airplanes has maybe a tiny bit of appeal but surfing or kite boarding-now THAT I want to do. There are people out here that stop everything they are doing when the waves get big. They literally flock to the beach in wet suits-running from their cars to the water and paddle out waiting for the next big one to come along. I want to be one of them BUT with a husband who always works and 3 kids who can't tie a shoelace without me...It's not going to happen. BUT Ethne is going to be my surfer. She loves the ocean waves and just can't get enough.



Today we walked to the park by the beach and I said Ethne do you want to go swing? Her face lit up and she climbed over the anchor chain and booked it for the water. I caught her up and said no honey I said swing NOT swim. She was so mad. She threw a big fit and cried and cried that we weren't going to swim. She really loves being in the water and has no fear of the waves.



One night the kids and I took a walk on the beach before dinner and it was too cold to get in, but she insisted. She was jumping in and trying to run off without me. I had to fight to keep her on her feet in the waves since the tide was coming in. I finally decided to stand really close but let her get knocked off her feet a few times so that she wouldn't fight me so hard and she would know I was just trying to keep her safe. It didn't work. She was slightly more cautious, but she just kept going back for more. I had to fight her in my arms and buckle her in the stroller to get her home. She cried and threw a fit until she knew it was of no use and she gave up the tantrum.

I love her excitement, I love her daring and her passion and her determination. I love that she will be my surfer girl, but I pray that she can be safe and survive her childhood as well ;)

No comments: