Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A Little Bird Taught Me So

Here is a pict on one of my friends that come to visit everyday and clean up after the kids. This one got stuck inside :(

So today Ethne hasn't been herself. She isn't roaming around doing her own thing. She isn't asserting her independence. She isn't getting into mischief. She is under my feet. She wants attention badly. I picked her up and held her and loved on her and she asked for food. I said Ethne you already had: fruit, cereal, pancake, water and popcorn. You don't need to eat. Do you want mommy to play? Her face lit up and she was so excited and she signed and said "PLAY!".
So I thought I would be tricky and take her outside to weed with me. It worked for a little while as a game and then she kept trying to snuggle and climb into my arms. She took me and made me sit on the steps by her and she folded her arms. (this is because Enoch sometimes takes her out on the front steps and gives her lessons on how to pray. Then they both come in beaming at me and tell me what they have been doing and I shower them with praise just like they want. It works for everyone). So I said Ethne do you want to sing songs? She said "Uh-hu". So we sang and sang until I was running out of songs she likes and then it happened. Something wet fell on my arm and I looked at my arm and then up in the sky and there was a tiny little bird behind.
I got pooped on. I went in and cleaned it up after making sure to show the boys at the window above us ( I knew Enoch would squirm in his skin at the thought :)
After cleaning up we moved to a new spot outside and played a little kick the soccer ball and swing on the swing. I thought about what a perfect metaphor for life that was. There we are just going along happy and minding our own business and then, metaphorically speaking, we get pooped on. And there we are with the decision to clean up and keep singing or fret and moan about how gross life is.
A good lesson from a little bird I know :)

3 comments:

Mandi said...

You wanna know something funny? I was at the computer this morning after taking out the recycling and Naomi said, "Mum? It looks like you have bird poo on your shirt." And I did. *grin*

Ashley said...

That is really funny Mandi! The birds around here love us. They come by everyday regularly to clean up after my kids. There is always some popcorn or something blowing around in the back yard.

Dorothy said...

I love this post! I read it like 3 or 4 times! It brings back so many memories in Belgium when little kids get that needy "I love you" feel to them and they just want to be read to or played with or justs cuddled. It's got to be such an amazing feeling as a Mom! I just remember that even when you want to get things done, it could make the hardest day in the world all better for me in Belgium!