I had a very surreal experience the other day that gave me enough energy to run on for a long time. I had the most perfect day! The kids woke up happy and cheerful. They were full of energy but very obedient. They went outside and played almost the entire morning. I was left alone to clean for 2 hours and I could see and hear them through all my many windows so they were perfectly safe. They had so much fun and so did I. I chatted with Amber and Dorothy and Lacey throughout the day and that was really fun. I made fast healthy meals that required only the minimum of clean up. I was able to keep the whole house clean all day. It was sparkling when Garrett got home from work. AND he got home from work at 5:15. Just in time for us to walk down to the beach before dinner. We went down to look at the fog that had been moving in for a few hours. We could hear the fog horns on the boats as we walked down to the ocean. The part we walked to was rocky and the tide was coming in. The fog had settled all across the water and you could just see vague outlines of the boats that were really close. We could hear them all loud and clear though. It was truly a magical site. I can't believe how calm it made us all feel just to witness the beauty. I, of course, was drawn into the water. It seems that no matter how cold it is or how windy or how I am dressed I just can't stay out of the water. I rolled up my pants and walked in the shallow parts down the beach with the boys at my side (not in the water) looking for shells. Good thing Garrett found my Chaco's cause I couldn't see where I left them by the time I got out :) The thing about being at the sea is that it just makes you feel completely content. It doesn't matter what is going on in my life when I walk across the sand and feel the waves come up over me I feel total contentment. I don't feel as if I need anything more in my life except people to share it with. I miss you all at moments like this because I just want you to be here and experience it with me. It is so perfect-like in a fairy tale. We went home and had a lovely dinner and put the kids to bed. Garrett had to run off somewhere for a little while and I sat down in my room and chatted with Lacey via my gmail chat on my cell phone and I listened to the fog horns and watched the scene from my window while the wind blew in and dusk came. It truly was one of those perfect days! And somehow it just isn't the same in the photos. I hope you can see them well enough to enjoy the serenity.




The only bad thing that happened was just a minor thing, but left me quite shaken. I walked into the playroom with my kids and just caught a glimpse of Ethne's PJ top. I did a double take and my heart started pounding in my chest. The internal dialog came in loud and clear. (Is that what I think it is? No it couldn't be). I look again. (It is what I think it is Oh my gosh it is huge- like a small tarantula. That is the scariest spider I have ever seen-besides a tarantula. OK remain calm-just slap it with the towel in your hand.) SLAP! (oh my gosh it's in the towel). Throw towel. Boys running over yelling what is it? What happened? Ethne is looking at me like she can't believe I just slapped her with a towel. More internal dialog-heart still pounding. (OK just be calm-be calm. You don't want the boys to be afraid of spiders. Just act like it's no big deal). I say: Enoch can you go get me a big heavy shoe? Enoch comes back with a flip flop. I hand it back to him while keeping my eyes on the towel and say: Enoch please go get me a BIG HEAVY shoe. This isn't a big heavy shoe. He comes back with one of Ezra's church shoes. It is heavy but it isn't big. (OK, you can do this. Just pick up the towel and hit it. NO! I don't want to pick up that towel. It's in there. OK, Maybe if you just smash the whole towel all over with the shoe you will get it. OK now that is a better idea.) I muster up the courage with the boys asking all kinds of questions I don't have the presence of mind to answer. I start smashing the towel all over and after a sufficient amount of time I back up and breath. Something I forgot to do while smashing the small tarantula. Whew! OK heart still pounding mind still talking (OK now you need to pick up the towel and make sure it is dead and dispose of the body. OH seriously, I don't want to pick that up. But you can't just leave it in the play room. Come on be brave for the kids. Enoch and Ezra need to be tough. OK) :( Pick up towel see spider with guts. Put him in toilet and think about not flushing until Garrett gets home so I have proof of the size. Put towel in laundry. It takes me a few minutes to calm down all the way. I didn't know at the time if that spider was poisonous but it sure was HUGE and scary looking. I couldn't believe the size. ugh! I found out later that there is only one poisonous spider in NZ so chances are that wasn't it. BUT, nevertheless it was a HUGE scary spider that was on my little girl. That made it scary enough without being poisonous. So silly since spiders are really great to have around. I just like having them around from a distance :)
Goodnight
3 comments:
Wow,you captured me. That's so amazing. You're living my dream girl! You just need a sailboat.
I would have wet my pants about the spider. You were very brave!
A sailboat would be heavenly, but I am not really at a point in my life where I could really take care of one. I would need my husband around more ;)
Post a Comment