I am kicking myself because I just realized that we didn't get any pictures of this month's movie night. It was the biggest one yet. We had expected 16 kids at one point but it got scaled down to 12 as one family of 4 canceled. That is 12 including my three. All the kids seemed to have a great time and after we were into the movie I got to sit in there and work on all my overdue mending (two stuffed animals, one pair of pants and something else I can't remember).
So Lacey this is what we do for our movie night: I send out an email with the date and time (we do 6:30-8:30 on one Friday a month) then the RS sends it out to the whole RS email list so that everyone knows. I tell them what movie we will be watching so parents know before hand and can decide if they want their kids to see it. Then the night of, I make a big bowl of popcorn and spread out a huge blanket on the floor in front of the tv for them to eat on (it helps save the rug that belongs to the landlady and I can just shake it out and throw it in the washer after). Then when all the kids are there we start the movie and the fun begins.
I do it for ages 4 and up, because any younger than that and they will probably not sit through a whole movie and you have to remember to take them to the bathroom and could end up with several diaper changes all at once etc... (I don't at all mind watching the little ones, but I had to be realistic about what I could handle if it was a full house like this time). Also there is the possibility always that I will be home alone without Garrett's help. The older girls are tons of help though. They help the little ones to feel safe and secure, they show them the toilet, or let me know to get a drink etc... They are really helpful!
The only rule we have is to not eat on the couch: (we eat on the floor and then wash hands and sit on the couch). I am not super strict about it but most of the time the kids remember and then I don't have a lot of grease spots on the couch to clean off. The first month I let them eat on the couch and then I had to clean off a lot of grease spots and it took some time so now we don't do that anymore. This last time someone brought these really yummy whole wheat, vegan cookie bar type things and they had melted dark chocolate on top, so although it isn't a rule we had the kids eat those at the bar where they could eat and watch and then wash hands before going back to the living room. It worked great and no one minded.
If you still need more reasons why you should Start a monthly movie night then here are a few more:
You will meet lots of new people and get to know the kids Nathan will be hanging out with.
You will have something fun to do on Friday nights when Aaron is in school or working and you and Nathan are home.
You will feel good because you are helping other parents go out on dates and thus providing service that is fun for everyone. Service always makes you happy.
It will make you popular :)
You will get to make more of the treats you love to bake, but will have lots of people to help you eat them.
People will bring treats to you and share recipes :) I have been really impressed that most of what is brought is on the healthy side. I love that!
Nathan will LOVE it. My kids look forward to "Movie Night" all month.
You will get to sit and relax with the kids for most of that time and can mend, sew ( I just started a new hand sewing project I can do in the evenings and during that time). I am hoping to learn to knit and do hand embroidery.
And I really like the idea of doing this with my kids as they are older as well so that Garrett and I can keep tabs on their friends and get to know them and what they are up to. Surrounding yourself with your kids and their friends is the best way to have influence over their lives and get that really important "window to their soul".
And I said this in the last one but I love that I am able to keep tabs on what my kids are watching since they are so sensitive to movies and being scared etc... And since we are really strict about potty humor and other objectionable material in kids movies.
So 3 cheers for movie night and YOU starting one in MO :) Go Lacey!!!
Davis rocks
11 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment