So for Christmas my mother-in-law bought each couple a stack of books. One of which is called "Leadership and Self-Deception". I just finished reading it last week and I felt like a new person. I was so excited knowing that this is really the answer to all the
difficulties I have with my children, and how I can become better in ALL my relationships. It is the way to really live the life we all want. The first day I was reading it I was sitting in the living room reading while everyone else was taking a nap. I started thinking about how I really needed this right now in my life. It was a good reminder even of the things I had learned before. I was reading about self-deception and self-betrayal and how when you ignore the feeling you have to do something for someone else that is a self-betrayal. As I was really getting into the book I had the prompting or "feeling" I should go play with Ezra. He was in his room playing instead of taking a nap like he was supposed to be doing. I REALLY didn't want to put the book down but I realized if I didn't obey that prompting I would be starting a cycle with this self-betrayal, so I put the book down and went to Ezra's door. He was coming out as I was going in. He looked at me and said "I have to go to the bathroom. I need to go twice" I said this is your 3rd time going to the bathroom since naps. I said go ahead and go and then come back. I was coming in to play with you. He perked up and smiled as he said "oh good". He was SO excited. When we started playing Enoch woke up and came in to see what was going on. I had two thoughts
simultaneously (1) Oh man this is going to ruin the one on one time that I wanted with Ezra and (2) Hey maybe since Enoch is awake I won't have to play with Ezra and I can read my book. I realized of course this too would be a self-betrayal so I stayed to play. We played kitchen/cook and a card game and other things. They had a GREAT time and they were SO happy for the time I had given them just playing the things they love best. I was really grateful I listened and took that opportunity with my kids. I realized that I don't stop my day often to play with them. We do many various tasks and projects together but not a lot of just plain playing. Thanks for the book Edwina.
5 comments:
That is great. I always need a reminder of how important it is to have that time with the kiddos. I'd better get to it. My youngest and my husband are sleeping and I be my little three year old would love some mommy play time...
zac got that book from his boss for Christmas. Sounds like I need to read it!
I need to start in on my book stack! I think I will start with that one first.
I just finished the book you gave me Jess. Great Book! Now I have started the sequal to the Self-Betrayal one. Loving it!
Amen! That is one of the most enlightening books I have ever read. It is so incredible. Fun to read up on your funny kids.
Post a Comment