Last night the kids watched Pinocchio and laughed hard through most of it, but when it was over Ezra told me he didn't ever want to watch it again. I was surprised because of all the laughter I had heard and asked why? He said that everyone in that movie was too sad.
During scriptures that night he talked about how he knew people didn't really turn into donkeys, but he didn't like the part where they are smoking and partying on pleasure island (or whatever it's called). I haven't seen it since I was a kid and I had forgotten that part. We had a really good discussion though, about how living for pleasure does turn you into a bit of a donkey, if not in the literal sense then figuratively. We talked about hard work and using our minds, keeping them clean and free of addictive substances and how that was really the only way to avoid becoming stagnant and complacent like the donkey children in the movie. It was a very meaningful conversation to have with him/them and although the movie was a bit disturbing to him it really drove home the point that a devious lifestyle full over over-indulgence and "living in the moment" is NOT the way to be truly happy. Knowing Ezra as I do, I know it will be a topic revisited soon.
Davis rocks
11 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment