Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Easter Monday

This was our fun day. We did a few things in the morning that had to be done but we had a pretty lazy morning. We ate our meals together and played together. We went to a street near our house where you can ride the scooters down a steep hill and then up another one to slow you down again. The boys and Garrett rode the scooters for a while while I sneezed my head off (allergies) and took video.


I spent the afternoon prepping a really fancy dinner for us(our Easter dinner since G was gone yesterday) and then after naps we put on our togs and went to the beach. Ezra and Ethne swam for a while until they froze and got out, wrapped up in towels, and then sat and watched us. I snorkeled while G watched the kids and dealt with Enoch's melt down and then he snorkeled and I huddled in towels with the kids until he was done.

We saw lots of cool fish and shells. I had Garrett dive for the shells for me cause I don't like doing it. He's my hero :) I got stung by something on the finger and it sent shooting pains up my hand for a while but it didn't last too long. Right before we were getting out to go home Garrett found a sting ray hiding in the sand. He was so excited he popped up and told me about it. I was so excited I jumped in the water and took the snorkel he offered me and swam to see it. Two Indian men in their late 20's heard us talking about a sting ray and they kind of freaked out. The got out of the water as fast as they could and thought I was crazy for getting in to go see it. They said sting rays can be really dangerous. I have touched them on many occasions in CA so I guess I don't see them as being a threat. Maybe I should. I didn't get close enough to it to frighten it just close enough to get a good look at it. It was definitely the highlight of the snorkeling trip.

It was too late to eat our fancy meal together that night so while I got straight to the cooking Garrett bathed, dressed and fed the kids some nachos before putting them to bed. Then when the food was ready we sat down and had our fancy dinner alone. That was nice too except I was still in my swimsuit covered in salt water :) oh well. c'est la vie.

We had a meal I learned to prepare at the Wellington On a Plate Master Class. It was made by the famous Chef Al Brown, but it wasn't quite like his since 1. I am not a famous chef and 2. my butcher couldn't get me any farm raised venison from the amazing red deer in NZ. I had to substitute cuts of beef :(

The meal was supposed to be: Cervena venison loin with braised venison cheeks and sauteed pumpkin mousse. But it turned out to be: local butcher's two similar cuts of beef braised, rested and served with sauteed pumpkin mousse, vegetables and Brumby's soft rolls. Very very good, but not what I had hoped for.

I have since found a butcher who can get me venison but I have to look into the price and the type.
Sorry about the picture but it was the best I go from my starving husband photographer :)

No comments: