Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Swim lesson # 3: Only A Few Tears

Swim lesson #3 went great. I was determined not to get there early since that seems to cause anxiety for Enoch but in cutting it close I accidentally cut it too close and we we're a few minutes late. Then the boys had to go to the bathroom and so were 5 min late for a 30 min. Lesson. I hate that! BUT, on a positive note there were only a few tears when Bob sent Enoch out on a noodle alone. I quickly jumped up and ran alongside him encouraging him the whole way and comforting him by saying he was going to be just fine etc... Bob, came over to him and stood really close but just out of Enoch's reach and Enoch stopped crying and kicked really hard to get to Bob faster than Bob could move away ;)After it was over Bob held him like he was two years old and comforted him and encouraged him and made him feel like a champion. Enoch worked hard in the water and I could see he was feeling tired from the emotion and the intense kicking. By the end of the lesson Bob had Enoch swim a long distance without any floating devices of any kind. He did it too. His power and strength kept him above the water and HE DID IT! He swam all alone. I was so proud of him for not crying and for doing it. Ezra didn't cry or have any issues but he was nervous from Enoch and he didn't work that hard. He kicked lazy and didn't do as well as last week. He was excited to be in the water but kind of lazy. As a result he didn't really progress this week. Last week he had done so awesome though and I think next week he will work harder.when he was supposed to swim on his own he didn't kick or paddle hard enough and kept sinking under and Bob would pull him up. But you know what he was BRAVE. He didn't panick and he didn't give up he kept going and I was so proud of him for that. Enoch would have been hysterical. At the end of the lesson Bob gave Enoch a high five and told him he was a champion. Enoch was beaming with pride knowing inside that he really deserved the praise. It wasn't just a token statement to encourage him to do better. Enoch had actually earned it and he felt the excitement of having earned those words. Ezra asked Bob if he was also a champion and good old Bob stayed true. He said "no, your brother worked really hard this week. I can't swim for you and I can't make you swim. I can give you the tools and then you have to work to make it happen. You didn't work hard this week, but next week you can work hard, like your brother" That was hard for Ezra to hear and even for me really because I was sad for him, but I was also really happy that Bob was honest. If he had told Ezra he was a champion when he hadn't earned it then it would have taken away from Enoch's honest and hard earned compliment, AND Ezra would have known that the words were hollow and that he hadn't really earned it which would cheapen the reward. I really believe that by holding back the compliment he made it so that Ezra will be far more motivated tomorrow when he has his next lesson. He is determined to also be a champion and this time I think he will earn it. Way to go Enoch! Good on you! You too Ezra! And here's to tomorrow!

No comments: