Monday, June 18, 2012

Violin lessons PART 2.5: Landlord Break-in

This part of the story took place at my house while I was gone to violin. It is Camilla's part of the story and I am going to let her tell it to you in her words. I am just waiting for her to write it and send it to me to post :) CAMILLA????? WHERE ARE YOU????

OK here is Camilla's part of the story. Freshly emailed to me only minutes ago :)

"It was a peaceful afternoon on Judge St. Ethne was asleep and Ash and

the boys were gone. I was in the kitchen finishing up some baking when
the doorbell rang. Ashley's door bell is one of those convenient ones
with a camera. I saw two animated old men, they looked like they were
arguing. I took one look around the house and decided no one was
coming in. It was baking day and chaos was reigning in its usual
baking day way. Lunch still on the table, toys scattered in living
room, dishes in the sink and a counter covered in pizzas waiting to be
frozen. It didn't take the old gentlemen long to get up the stairs and
start banging (yes banging) on the door. It looked like the man was
opening the door anyway so I went to the door. Sure enough it was two
over excited Italian men. I assumed by the angry yelling that this must
be the infamous landlord from a couple of weeks before. I told him I
was tending the children and that Ashley and G were away. He told the
other man, who later turned out to be the electrician, that I was the
renters sister. How he knew this I will never know. He then proceeded
to try and push his way into the house. Remembering what the house
looked like I held my ground. The other Italian man kept trying to
intervene between the yelling, his English was better. He kept trying
to tell me he was here to fix the phone line. The land lord kept
yelling -mostly in Italian- and demanding he was to be let in. The
other man finally yelled back and told him he was "scaring the young
girl" and was "about toa maka her a crya". I must have looked as
flustered as I felt, I've never enjoyed being yelled at in a foreign
language. ;) At this point the landlord pushed his way into the house
and told the electrician to get going. The electrician looked at me
and asked me if he should leave. At this point the landlord had seen
the house and was already in so I said to go ahead but not to go into
the bedrooms where the children were sleeping, (yes I stretched one
child into three). The next hour was very awkward. I tried to clean
up, as the landlord looked at his watch, sighed and grimaced and asked
when Ashley would be home. I did my best sighing and grimacing as well
and I managed to keep him in the living room kitchen area. Ethne woke
up, she was scared and clingy, poor kid, she tried to help me clean a
little after I had held her awhile but kept dropping things on the
floor making the landlord give deeper sighs. Eventually they left,
with apologies from the electrician, as they were going Ethne who was
standing on a chair by the counter helping me cook waved to the
landlord and yelled "Don't set your dads beard on fire!" this being a
Fry family custom whenever people leave. The landlord turned around,
laughed, threw his arms out and said "she'a knows me" (insert best
Italian accent).
Love you
Camilla"

One thing Camilla forgot to mention was that the landlord kept pestering her about why she didn't have a phone to call me on. He wanted the electrician to be able to ask me the questions he needed to ask me RIGHT THEN. Camilla tried to explain she wasn't from here so didn't have a cell phone and the reason the electrician was here was to fix things so a home phone could be used. He didn't care about her reasons he was just really bothered she didn't have a phone to call me on.

3 comments:

Sunshine said...

Well written Camilla, that gave me a much needed laugh.

Dorothy said...

Oh man this did NOT make me laugh. It makes me SO angry! What an awful person, I would NOT have let him in, and if I saw him treating either of you that way I am afraid I would NOT have been as pleasant. This really makes my blood boil, doesn't he know these are MY SISTERS!!!!!!!!!! Ok, so the last part was a joke, but the rest of it I mean very much. DON'T let him bully you or your children!!!

Sheryl said...

When we lived in Maryland our landlord did a similar thing during Sunday afternoon nap time. Seriously irritating. Obviously he didn't realize how special a rare Sunday nap is. Nothing like having all three kids asleep and being asleep yourself in your g's only to have your landlord call three times, pound on the door, and then let himself in to fix a dumb back porch light. He just had to get it fixed right then in the middle of our family nap. I'm pretty sure they are only supposed to enter on their own incase of an emergency. That does not constitute an emergency.