Sunday, July 10, 2011

A First For Enoch

In the last 24 hours we have had a wonderful experience with Enoch.  We got to see a small vision of what he will be like when he gets older and it was a really sweet and proud moment for Garrett and I.  He is such a great kid. He tries so hard all the time to do what is right. He has his little melt downs and his mischievous side as well but his whole little self wants more than anything to do what is right and to please his parents and his Heavenly Father.  He got an invitation to go see a movie with one of his friends from church for the friend's birthday and he was so excited. He loves birthdays and celebrating and giving presents etc... But he has a bit of a fear about going to the theatre to see movies and he is skeptical of every new movie that comes out. He knows that we don't see most of the movies that come out and that a lot of the kids movies are full of potty humor which we don't really like.  We are quite picky about what the kids see and both boys are completely fine with this.

Enoch, wanted to know right off what the movie was. I told him and he said "oh, I don't know if I want to see that movie." I said oh really why? He would only say "because, I don't like ________".  I let it go until it was time to email an RSVP. Last night I said Enoch I need to know if you are going to the movie so that I can tell them. He said "I'm NOT going if there is any potty humor".
I showed him the trailers and explained that there would probably be some intense parts but that I thought it would be fine. We looked up the parental ratings and it didn't show any potty humor so he was OK there.  Then he said "just tell her I will let her know tomorrow". I said OK you sleep on it and I will let her know that you will tell me tomorrow.

He went in for Scriptures and prayers with Garrett and Ezra while I put Ethne to bed. I heard part of the conversation and had mixed emotions to what Garrett was telling them.  Garrett has strong feelings against this particular movie and I heard him say "If the man who made the movie was a good man he would save his political agenda for the adults and not try to brainwash little children".  They actually had a long and really good discussion about it all though and it led to Enoch praying asking his Heavenly Father if he should go to the movie. 

This morning when I asked Enoch what his answer was he said "I have prayed about it last night and today and Jesus isn't answering me. I guess if he doesn't say anything to me then I will just go."  I said OK, you know what you can do if you don't understand the answer, is ask Heavenly Father to give you an answer that you can understand. We talked about how answers to prayers come and how we feel them and how people get them in different ways.  Then I told him he could pray one more time and tell Heavenly Father that he was having a hard time understanding and ask if he would give him the answer in a way he could understand and know what to do.

I got in the shower and Enoch prayed in his room. When I got out he was waiting for me to tell me that "the answer came in the weirdest way that I wasn't even expecting. It was so weird" I believe that things like this are sacred and don't want to share the full experience here but I was surprised how the answer came too. Both Enoch and I felt the spirit as he told me his story and he asked me what I thought it meant. I told him that it was his answer given to him and asked him what he thought it meant. He said that he thought it was a yes and that he should go.  He said "do you think that is right mom?" and I answered honestly that I thought he was right. I could see no other way to interpret it.  I felt so happy inside that Heavenly Father looked down on one of his ninety and nine and gave a little 6 year old the answer to his sweet and innocent little question. 

The whole experience was a window to Enoch's soul and we were very pleased to see what we found there. What a great kid. I am relieved about his teen years. A child that has that much wisdom and that strong of a desire to do the right thing is astounding. I may have said this all ready but I am so very proud of him and of Garrett for all the constant teaching he does about right and wrong and good and bad and choosing for ourselves.  Enoch was given the choice and I would have supported him and not tried to sway him either way, but I know now that in matters of great consequence when he is older that he has the wisdom to know how to make his decisions.  Way to go Enoch-you are certainly living up to your name!

2 comments:

Sunshine said...

Wow.How wonderful and encouraging.

Helen Sycamore said...

Enoch! I am so so proud of you! Man he is growing up to be such a great kid!