Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Our Hotel in Rotorua

This is Ethne's reaction to the curtains in the hotel. It's OK we all felt the same way :)
This was the night we got into the hotel. Enoch and Ezra were eating apples and chilling on the couch with magazines. They looked so chill it was funny!


So we got to our hotel last night and we were really scared. We were paying $150+ a night or something for this hotel with a kitchen and two bedrooms etc... and it looked like a total dump. The owner and his wife lived there and he was really creepy. They are from Korea and didn't speak English very well so it was hard to communicate as well. He walked Garrett up to our room and opened the door shining his flashlight in there as if he expected to find something or someone. Our worst fears were realized. It was awful-dirty, dusty, ugly, uncomfortable beds and pillows. The sheets felt like sleeping between 2 sheets of rice paper and the pillows were like 300 sheets of rice paper stacked on top of each other. The two seater couch had old misshapen cushions that fell off while you were trying to sit on them leaving you on the wooden slats. There were ants, a leaky roof and two burners on the stove that didn't work for starters. Garrett tried to use the oven and couldn't get it to turn on. He messed with all the buttons. At 3am the buzzer on the stove woke up Camilla and she went in to find the oven piping hot and the buzzer going off. The washer and dryer that was promised to be in the hotel room was just "on site" as it turned out and they raised the price for using them mid-wash--oh and the Internet didn't work for the first two days either.


The really unfortunate part of it all was that I booked the hotel for 4 days on "wotif.com", a discount hotel site, and all the money was paid upfront. I told Garrett that if he really loved me :) he would tell that guy what he thought of his hotel, get our money back and we could go stay somewhere else. G insisted that we would waste 1/2 our trip looking for another hotel and we should just stay put. Upon checkout I made a list of everything that was wrong with the room and Garrett gave it to the guy and showed him the worst things before we left- like the leaky roof. Ezra wet the bed one night and Ethne peed on another bed so we took off the sheets so they would change the beds. What a joke! They did change them but when we got home that night Mr. "Zedong" interrogated Garrett about why we took the bedding off. He thought that was very unusual and he wasn't happy about it.


Another day we took some towels with us to the spa and they were all wet and used so we asked for new towels to shower with. Mrs. "Zedong" wanted to know WHY we needed more towels. She gave me a big sigh and acted very put out so I used the opportunity to get in a blow of my own. I asked her about the ants all over the place. I told her I found an ant on my sweet little baby and she wanted to know what she was supposed to do about it??? UM WHAT??? I said, I don't know what DO you do for the ants around here? She acted shocked like why should she do anything about the ants? She said she could spray, but since we didn't know what she would use we said we only wanted her to on the outside not on the inside.


When they came in each day and made the beds-ha ha- they didn't even straighten the sheets or blankets. They just grabbed the cover on top and threw it up towards the pillow and left it however it fell. We couldn't wait to get out of there since everyday we found more things that didn't work or that were a big pain.

3 comments:

Mandi said...

Makes you want to go to Korea, doesn't it?

Super Yellow said...

Wow! How awful. I hope you checked for bed bugs.

Mariah said...

That sounds HORRIBLE! I hope you know not all of NZ is like that. I can't believe you lasted 4 days there.

Make sure you post bad feedback anywhere you can find a spot for it!