Sunday, November 28, 2010

Observations Made in The First 24 Hours.

0. The hotel we are living in doesn't have a pool :(

1. Weirdest thing-people run around shopping in their bare feet-lots of them. I found it so odd but Garrett didn't even notice it.

2. it is an odd feeling to be living in a place where you can't tell the gay guys from the straight. They talk the same. They dress the same. I really can't tell a lot of the time. Exception-the cross dressers- those you can tell! Well I can. Garrett is sometimes unsure if they are just really ugly women :)

3. About a 1/3 of the couples walking around yesterday were two men but you couldn't tell for sure if they were "together" or not. Odd. As a married woman this is just an obervation. For single women this must be VERY FRUSTRATING.

4. Fresh produce is VERY expensive (I am hoping it is just the store we were at though).

4.5 The hotel we are at doesn't have a POOL!

5. People are VERY VERY nice. They are so overly concerned for your welfare and so helpful. Even the inflight video said about 3-4 times- in an emergency remember to look around and assist those people who might need help. One of the stuardesses came up to me in the baggage claim area (after helping my new friend Ellie to get everything she needed from the plane up to the bagage etc...) and she gave me her card and told me to call or email her for anything. Even if it was just to ask where to go for something. I was blown away by how kind and polite everyone was at the airport and everywhere else we have been.

6. The food really is as good as people say.

7. On first impression it seems as though everyone here smokes. They don't bother to walk away from children while they do it either. Hard for me as a mother to not be bothered by that. I will need to learn to relax and walk away instead of being prickily I guess.

8. it is beautiful when you look at the country and the hills and the boats and water, but most of the houses and builings leave something to be desired.

I am not sure if this impression or any of the others will last- these are just first impressions and subject to change.

8.5 The hotel we are in DOES NOT have a pool.

9. Housing is going to cost more than we thought :(

2 comments:

MamaChef (JM) said...

Keep the updates coming! We are reading them all!

Pand K Ewert said...

Yes, NZ kids (on the whole) get accustomed to going barefoot! So, then, you get adults who go barefoot. I'm not sure why: let me know when you figure it out. :)