Sunday, November 28, 2010

First Day in Wellington


Jenny from Weta picked us up at the airport and drove us to the City Life hotel in our rental car. She and Garrett picked up our excess luggage after dropping the rest of us off here at the hotel. Ethne and Ezra had a bath and I took a shower and we all got ready to go out and look for lunch as soon as Garrett would be back. When he got back we walked around to find something to eat but surprisingly enough everything was closed on Sunday. We found a place called Astoria to eat and it was fantastic. Enoch and Ethne had ham, cheese and tomato muffins (they tasted a lot like quiche in muffin form-amazingly good). Garrett had fish with lentils and cucumber, Ezra had a pannini with fancy cheese and I had a steak sandwich. It had great flavor but I remembered why I don't like steak--it's too hard to chew :)

We then stopped in a cafe and had hot chocolate and I used the Internet. Then we took the boys (who were soaking wet from a fountain in front of the cafe we ate lunch at) back to the hotel for clean up. We took naps and then because of our early next day we had to go in search of a shop to buy a few groceries for dinner and breakfast Mon. morning. We walked and walked and then found out the place we were looking for we had already passed so we went back.

Random tip #1: Don't bother bringing travelers checks with you when you come visit. No one takes them anyway.

I was in for a BIG shock at the market. I thought CA was expensive-whew! I nearly fell over when I saw that fresh fruit was all around 4-5 NZ$ per K--I am used to buying what is on sale for around $1-1.50 USD a lb. We live on fresh produce so that is going to be killer.

We had pasta for dinner in our hotel room then put all the kids to bed, cleaned up, I blogged and we went to bed at 10pm our time. A very very full day it was.

Sorry about the poor writing. I have no brain left and no time to re-read and edit this narative.

1 comment:

Sunshine said...

I'm am loving reading all of your experiences and observations!!!! Keep em' coming and don't worry about spelling and grammar.