Tuesday, November 30, 2010

More Observations

1. appliances are all VERY small. Tiny ovens, tiny stoves, tiny washers and tiny dryers (if you have one at all) a lot of people hang dry the clothes. I have to tell you I have no desire to live that adventurous or simplistic. I DON'T want to hang dry my clothes. I will have a dryer small or not :)

2. my kids are a little lazy when it comes to walking.

3. living in a tiny hotel with 5 people, 15 pieces of luggage and a stroller makes it very hard to keep things clean and children obedient.

4. the water here is surprisingly clean and clear-not clear like the Bahamas but much cleaner and clearer than CA.

5. a kilo is NOT less than a pound like my husband kept assuring me :) Thank Heavens-that means that the fruit is 3-5$ for 2lbs not less than a pound. Silly us!

6. you can sunburn here as easily as I heard. everyone came home with a little pink yesterday.

7. People here are largely very sloppy with their appearance. The business people dress very nice but those walking and doing casually are quite sloppy. I pointed this out to Garrett and he said he started watching people everywhere he went yesterday and he agreed with my observation. the next observation plays a little in with this one.

8. There is little point in fixing your hair here because you walk outside and it blows like crazy until it looks like you didn't do a thing with it.

9. Garrett is not sure he is going to like his job as much as he thought he would--big big disappointment. It is a great job and it is really too early to tell but he feels he might be over qualified. The matte painters here just do matte painting. He is used to taking a piece from the very beginning to the very end. He also does concept art during pre-production when matte paintings aren't needed-BUT here there are multiple projects at the same time so that won't be an option. I will keep you updated with this as it is a critical issue and it will determine largely whether we are here for longer than a year.

10. The bathrooms here all have towel heating racks. Hmm.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like an interesting adventure so far. Interesting about the appliances - we Americans are so used to everything BIG.