Thursday, July 9, 2015

Internet Guy or Serial Killer? You Decide.

So, I've long known that I'm the type of person that's just"too nice"(in certain situations). The one who can't say no. The one who ALMOST let someone with a cat rent my house because I felt badly that they needed a place. I have a hard time telling people no even when I know that I should. So, today a man came to my door and told me he was from the internet company and needed access to our back yard to get to the box to hook up someones internet. he wanted me to let him in. I looked at him like he was crazy. This is just the sort of thing you see on the news(not that I watch it) right before they tell you that the woman was now dead because she was stupid and let a stranger in her home. I told him we didn't have a backyard only a little balcony and he would have to talk to the people next door to get back there. He said they weren't home and could I go on my balcony and he would meet me back there in the street next door and show me. I locked my door and went to check out my balcony. He was on the other side of the fence down on the street and showed me what he needed to get to and asked me if I would let him pass through my house to get there. The guy he was hooking up internet for was back there on his balcony too but he was some sort of worker. He had a ladder and dirty clothes and you could see inside the building that he was doing some construction. He was kinda creepy and the way he looked at me made me think he's the sort to peek in your windows at night. ICK. So glad they only have see thru curtains around here in the main part of the house.



The whole thing felt legit so I told him yes, but  knew that was not the right answer. Then he asks if I will be home for the next TWO hours because that's how long he will need to be in and out of my house. Oh no. Shoot. I could hear my mother's voice inside my head saying. It's probably fine but is it really worth it? What if her Isn't what he says? Is it worth the chance? The answer was NO, of course not. I have 4 kids in here with me. So WHY did I say yes? Because I knew it would make his day easier and I couldn't say no. Now he was expecting to be in and out of my house for two hours. Not just a quick in and out. I got a hold of G immediately and told him what I had done. He said "NO WAY!" and gave me the numbers for both the landlord and the rental company so I could have him get in touch with them. He said to leave the numbers and a note on the door and not answer when the guy came to the front door. :) Sounds so dramatic doesn't it? That wasn't an option anyway since he was already at my door before I got the numbers. I brought him a paper with phone numbers for him to call and told him I didn't have the authority to be letting him into the back and he would need to call the landlord or rental company. He asked if he could call right there and got out his cell phone. He was hoping they would approve it and I would let him use my house. The landlady answered and the whole conversation was in French. I didn't understand anything. I thought oh great. He could just tell me that she said yes. I don't want him in here even if she says yes. He was very polite though and said she said it was OK but that she would be here in 30 minutes and if I didn't want him in my house he would just wait for her to come. I said I had sleeping children and it would be better if he just waited. So he just sat out front until she got here. Gees. Next time I won't be so stupid. It will be a big fat NO from the start. I'm sure glad I didn't have to find out if I was the really stupid girl in the movie that makes you want to scream at the screen NOOOO! Don't let him in. He's really Jack the Ripper.

No comments: